Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Three-year-old logic

My little girl has been saying her prayers at night since she could talk...

Little hearts
Are made to love
Friends below
And God above.

Then one day she started telling me she didn't want to say her prayers. Figuring it was just a phase, I let it go on for a week- each night as I tucked her in I'd ask- "Do you want to say prayers tonight?" And each night she'd tell me no.

Well... Finally a couple of nights ago I asked her why she didn't want to say her prayers and I told her, "God likes to listen to us say our prayers."

She looked up suddenly and said, "Where does God live?"

"Up in Heaven," I answered.

"Oh." She seemed to think this over for a minute then she said, "Up in the sky?"

"Well, yes..."

"Oh." Again she paused deep in thought. Then she said matter-of-factly, "I heard God go by our house. In an airplane."

Uh-oh. I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job in my teaching because each night since then she's asked, "God lives in an airplane?" And each night I patiently tell her, "God lives in Heaven."

I think this might take awhile.

No comments: