Monday, December 15, 2008

True Happiness

As I'm sitting here, kids in bed, husband outside- battling the snow with a snowblower that doesn't sound as though it wants to cooperate- I'm so thankful. I'm feeling so content being here in our little home. Yesterday, Ryan and I went out of town for the night with some friends. We had a great time away: quick, yet enjoyable. Such a breath of fresh air to spend some time with other adults.

Yet, driving back tonight, I realized how happy I was to be coming home. Could be the Christmas season and the need to be near my family, or maybe it was the raging snow storm we had to drive in for the last hour of the trip. Whatever the real reason, I feel as though I can appreciate the quick trip away for what it was while looking forward to tomorrow and spending the day at home with my kids.

Sometimes, I get too caught up in worry. I worry what tomorrow will bring or what the next year has in store. My thoughts start to snowball and pretty soon I'm worrying about things that are so far beyond my control. It takes a lot of strength sometimes to remember life will work it's way out. I hear constant news of people losing jobs, clinging to jobs that are hanging by a thread, and it's scary. We're met everyday with news of hard times, rough patches, uncertainty. And it can add up- leaving a pit of doubt and fear within us.

Yet, it's Christmas. It doesn't matter what the situation of the world may be- or whether we feel sad or content- because it's Christmas. The most beautiful time of the year because of the real reason we celebrate. And, remembering that first Christmas eases fears, crosses out doubt, and refills my heart with joy and happiness. Worry is waste of precious time, ungrounded fears are usually far beyond our control. And as this Christmas nears, I feel such peace in knowing- we are so blessed. There is so much beyond our control and so many worries that can keep us awake at night... Yet, right here- in the quiet comfort of my home- I can put that aside and be thankful.

Whether you are in high spirits this season- humming along to Christmas carols, lining up rows of cookies on cooling racks on the counter- or feeling weary instead- strained from having too much to do, sad in knowing you will not be able to be near family- hold onto the real meaning of Christmas. Let your heart remember all that it is thankful for. And share that joy. Because that's what it's really about.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You hit it right on the nose! Christmas is the perfect time to step back from all the chaos and just be thankful for what we have. For there are so many blessings that we tend to sometimes overlook, like how lucky we are to have healthy kids, a roof over our heads, loving families, great friends, and so much more. By the way, I couldn't wait to get home and see the kids too! :)

Cami said...

I agree one hundred percent. It is easy to get caught up in the day to day stresses that are before us. But at the end of the day we can be so thankful for our faith and family to share this Christmas season with!