Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mental Health for Moms

Note to self:
Do NOT make an ooey-gooey chocolate covered concoction that my husband with the decidedly missing sweet tooth declares he could 'take or leave' and my kids don't really particularly care for on the same week that I have a big test coming up. Because, as one might imagine, that leaves me to dig through the pan, bar-by-bar, inch by inch until all of the sudden I find myself starring at my reflection in the bottom of my 9x13 declaring in mock-horror, "Who ate all these? I just made them yesterday!?" as if I might convince anyone within earshot that I had nothing to do with helping them dissappear.

Then again... It does help those mental health terms sink in a little better for the upcomming test. For example:

Denial: the refusal to acknowledge the existance of a real situation or the feelings associated with it. As in There's no way I could have eaten all of them by myself. Someone else must have had some.

Displacement: the transferring of feelings from one target to another that is considered less threatening or neutral. While stressing for an upcoming test, the student decided to take out her frustrations on the innocent pan of scotcharoos.

Projection: attribution of feelings or impulses unacceptable to one's self to another person. The individual 'passes the blame' for these undesirable feelings or impulses to another providing releif from the anxiety associated with them. i.e. Really, if someone else would have eaten these with me I wouldn't have consumed half the pan by myself!

Rationalization: attempt to make excuses or formulate logical reasons to justify unacceptable feelings or behaviors. Hah. hahahah. I don't normally eat like this. It's only because I'm studying for this test, you see.

And so on and so forth. You get the picture. You see... It really was all part of my plan to help me learn these therms afterall. Ahem.

Enjoy your day. I'll be enjoying whats left of the scotcharoos.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I should put this on my fridge so everytime I need logical reasoning as to why half a pan of brownies are gone, I'll know what to say! :) Good luck on the exam!

Cami said...

LOL! Sounds like me over here....studying the same stuff.

guess I won't make bars...my super ego says that's a bad idea!

Lori said...

Great analogy! maybe you could turn that in for some extra credit....

Anonymous said...

ha,ha. you too funny. ;)

jill