Monday, September 14, 2009

Lack of sleep & heavy pigs

Whose smart idea was it to only make enough coffee for me to have two cups this morning? Or... In other words...What was I thinking? Ugh. Lately I've been unable to sleep well- not really too shocking- but last night I thought I'd get to bed at a decent hour. So, I was exhausted by 10:00, went upstairs to read for awhile- and around 11:00 as I'm just about to fall asleep- the phone rings downstairs. And of course, I didn't make it down in time.

Well. For reasons I shall not go into in great depth- except to say that during a lightening storm something happened with the phone wire that runs into the kitchen and apparently this is not something my husband deems a real neccesary item to fix- my answering machine is in my basement. In the darkest, most spider-filled, dirtiest corner of our one hundred year old basement. And my husband was working the night shift.

As anyone does, I hate when the phone rings so late at night. Well, there wasn't a great chance that I was going to be creeping down into the basement to see if whoever it was left a message, but all sorts of interesting and horrible scenarios began to clutter my mind. Multiplied by the fact that I was the only adult in the house.

So, I called my husband several times, trying to get ahold of him to see if it was him calling. No answer. By this point I was wide awake, jittery, and well past the point of feeling like I could easily fall back asleep. Finally, closer to midnight, my husband calls and says it was him calling, but that he got busy at work right after he called and couldn't return my calls right away. Understandable and not his fault. But there went my plan of getting to sleep at a good hour.

That brings me to this morning. Foggy and sleep-deprived. And laughing because I just overheard Lydia telling Hannah as she hoisted her up, "You're one heavy pig!" Hello? A heavy pig?

Lots of stuff to get done today: studying for a test, finishing an autobiography, and hopefully getting a start on the several chapters I need to get read by Thursday. And later today- which I'm looking forward to, which should propel me through the day- a fun evening with Lydia. Every once and awhile (very rarely, actually) we go out for a "girl's night". Basically consists of Wal-mart, the Dollar Store, and maybe ice cream. But, I love those times- even if it's something that's only happened a time or two in the past year.

Haha, groan. Now they're naming their toy horses after their grandparents and hanging them upside down by the legs. Jack just exclaimed in great mock-horror, "Grandpa B. fell down!!!" Oh, boy.

I must get moving, the morning is slipping away. Have a good one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it!! I started cracking up at the heavy pig and Grandpa B. fell down! Aparently Henry thought I was kind of strange because he stopped mid-whine at stared at me with a mouth hanging open :)
-Emily