- An afternoon spent wandering through stores, just me and my oldest daughter. Good conversations, a little hand in mine. I love her perspective, the way she skips instead of walks, the spontaneous songs she invents for anything and nothing in particular. She suddenly she seems so old- how did this happen? But oh, how I love these special moments!
- A quiet walk as the sun was setting after my kids were in bed this evening. Beautiful sunset- perfect for reflecting and just letting my thoughts flow freely. A moment to step away from being a mother, to breathe, and then to return home feeling refreshed.
- An imperfect house. There are blocks on the bathroom floor and boots under the living room chair. There are dolls in the baby's swing, and a puzzle half finished on the floor... And three soundly sleeping children tucked in their beds upstairs. They are content.
- The sunshine that crept across the living room floor all afternoon until the long shadows of the evening carried it away. So refreshing to feel the warmth of that sun and to know spring will come. It might not be for some time yet, but each day of sun makes it feel closer and closer.
- A baby who fits so perfectly into my arms, who's breath against my neck is like little butterfly wings, who's gaze makes me feel like we're sharing a secret no one else is allowed to know.
... and that is today. In between it all, there are are simple little reasons to smile. Some days it's just harder than others to find them- sometimes they hide too well. But usually when you find one good thing, the others just fall in line.
Life is good like that.